how to address someone with a masters

how to address someone with a masters

When speaking to a person with a master’s degree, you might not need to address them in an unusual way. For a colleague, you may refer to them by their first name or whatever they’ve told you to call them. For a superior, you might consider using a prefix, including Mr., Mrs. or Ms. followed by the person’s last name. When speaking to your professors at school, you can use “Professor” by itself, or you can use “Professor” followed by the person’s last name.
As anyone with a master’s degree knows, attaining that level of education is a big achievement. People with master’s degrees can do anything from managing a business to teaching classes at a university. The correct way to address them depends entirely on the situation.

How to address someone with a masters
If you are her academic superior (you have a PhD) do NOT allow yourself to do so, and maintain the Ms. Doe style.

The M is the initial of Maria (presumably her given name) and Doe represents her surname (family name).

Written by: Chris Miksen
Add only the person’s prefix and full name if the person does not have a title. For example, to address a business worker who holds a master’s degree but no title, you would write “Dear Mr. John Doe,” or simply “Dear John,” if you are addressing the person in a non-formal manner.

In the United States there’s no formal pre-nominal title held by individuals holding a Master’s degree that I know of, so it’s very unlike Dr. Xxxx that one holding a Ph.D., etc. might be addressed. In text, you would address such a person with a post-nominal suffix like M.A., MBA, etc. I’m sure the logic is different among specific types of degree, where Esq. for Esquire is a post-nominal suffix for those in the legal profession in the US. To give you an example, though: If I hold an M.Sc., you might refer to me as “Kendall, M.Sc.” if you wanted to address me in an email or letter, but I would realistically expect Mr. Kendall or what have you face-to-face.
A somewhat archaic title someone holding a Masters degree is “Magister”. Similar to Doctor, it comes from a Latin word for teacher.

In most writing, use of the general terms bachelor’s or bachelor’s degree, master’s or master’s degree and doctorate or doctoral degree are sufficient to establish credentials and preferred to use of the full name of the degree (or the initials).
Academic degrees are capitalized only when the full name of the degree is used, such as Bachelor of Arts or Master of Social Work. General references, such as bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree, are not capitalized.